Coming to Shenzhen? Whether to live or for a short trip, these are the top must-see attractions, shopping destinations, and things to do when visiting Shenzhen. I’ll break them up into categories starting with nature and then, history, theme parks, shopping, look-outs, and finish up with Arts & Culture.
At first glance, Shenzhen seems to be not much more than a modern metropolis, but a short metro/bus ride can take you to see the many amazing natural attractions it also offers. Here are five highlights
- Lychee Park (荔枝公园) – Address: 1001 Hongling Mid Road, Futian District 深圳福田区红岭中路1001号
- Shenzhen Xianhu Fairy Lake Botanical Garden (仙湖植物园) – Address: 160 Xianhu Rd, Luohu
- Yantian and the Dapeng Peninsula inc. Xichong Beach (深圳西涌沙滩), Daimeisha (大梅沙海滨公园), Yangmeikeng (杨梅坑) and Dongchong (深圳东涌沙滩) more here.
- Phoenix Mountain (深圳凤凰山) – Address: Fenghuang Village, Bao’an District, Shenzhen 深圳市宝安区福永街道凤凰村
- Mt Wutong (梧桐山) – Address: Begin from Wutong Shan Village (梧桐山村)
Shenzhen is not a big player in the ancient Chinese history stakes, but there are several sites which are interesting
- Shenzhen Museum (深圳博物馆) Address: Civic Centre, Fuzhong Road 3, Futian District 广东深圳市福田区福中三路市民中心A区东翼深圳博物馆新馆 web: shenzhenmuseum.com
- Dapeng Fortress (深圳大鹏古城) – Address: Longgang District, Shenzhen 深圳市龙岗区
- Hongfa Temple (弘法寺) – Address: 160 Xianhu Rd, Luohu (inside Fairy Lake) web: hongfasi.net
- Nantou Ancient City (深圳南头古城垣) – Address: 3109 Nanshan Dadao, Nanshan District 南山区南山大道3109号中山公园南侧(近深南大道北侧)
- Hakka Folk Customs Museum (深圳客家民俗博物馆) – Address: No.1 Luoruihe North Street, Longgang 深圳龙岗街道南联社区罗瑞合北街1号
- Chiwan Tianhou Temple (深圳蛇口赤湾天后宫) Address: 9 Chiwan 6th Ave, Nanshan District 深圳南山区蛇口赤湾六路9号
Shenzhen is China’s theme park capital. The pick of them is OCT East which is massive and being near the Daimeisha area makes it a destination you could easily spend a few days at. The rest are based in Nanshan District.
- OCT East (东部华侨城大梅沙) – Address: Yantian District, Shenzhen 地址:深圳市盐田区大梅沙东部华侨城大峡谷售票处旁 web: en.octeast.com
- Window of the World (深圳世界之窗) – Address: 9037 Nanshan Blvd, Nanshan District 深圳南山区深南大道9037号 web: szwwco.com
- Happy Valley (深圳欢乐谷) – Address: Huaqiao West Street, Nanshan District 深圳南山区华侨城西路侨城西街欢乐谷入口 web: happyvalley.com.cn
- Splendid China (深圳锦绣中华) – Address: 9003 Shennan Avenue, Nanshan District 深圳市南山区深南大道9003号 web: cn5000.com.cn
- Shenzhen Safari Park (深圳野生动物园) – Address: 4065 Xili Lake Road, Nanshan District 广东省深圳市南山区西丽湖路4065号 web: szzoo.net
- Xiaomeisha Ocean World (深圳小梅沙海洋世界) – Address: Yankui Road, Yantian District 深圳市盐田区小梅沙盐葵路 web: szxms.com.cn
- Evergreen Resort (青青世界) – Address: 1 Qingqing Rd, Nanshan
- Alps World (世界之窗阿尔卑斯冰雪世界) – Address: At Window of the World, Huaqiaocheng, Nanshan 深圳市南山区华侨城世界之窗
The city offers shoppers a lot of options, from wholesale markets, through to high-end luxury malls, it’s got the lot. On your first trip, here are the must-see destinations:
- Luohu Commercial City (罗湖商业城) – at the border, it is a multi-floor mall famous for copy goods. Address: 25 Guangchang Road, Luohu District 深圳市罗湖区广场路25号罗湖商业城
- Dongmen Market (东门白马服装市场) – Massive retail and wholesale shopping area focussed on fashion. Address: Renmin North Road, Luohu District 深圳市罗湖区人民北路
- Huaqiangbei Road (华强北商业中心) – an expansive area that sprawls northwards from Huaqiang Road Metro Station that’s famous for electronics. Address: Huaqiang North Road, Futian 华强北福田区
- Mix C (深圳华润中心万象城) – Large modern luxury shopping mall – Address: 1881 Baoan South Road, Luohu District 罗湖区宝安南路1881号
- Coco Park ( 福田星河COCO PARK) – Major modern mall and my favorite – Address: 268号 Fuha 3rd Road, Futian District, Shenzhen – 深圳市福田区福华三路268
If I had to pick one area, I would probably choose Huaqiangbei, it’s got everything, malls, markets, wholesale, retail.
Lookouts & Observation Decks
Get a view of the city at one of these amazing lookouts. (2018 update: The new Ping’An Finance Centre (平安国际金融中心) in Futian has opened its 116th floor, 541m high observation deck which is a new must-do on an SZ visit)
- KK 100 (京基100) – Address: 96th floor St Regis cafe, 5016 Shennan E Rd, Luohu
- Meridian View Centre at Diwang (地王大厦观光中心) – Address: 69th floor of Diwang Mansion, 5002 Shennan E Rd, Luohu
- Shenzhen Lianhuashan Park (深圳莲花山公园) – an easy walk up to the Deng Xiaoping Statue with a view over Futian. Address: Hongli Road, Futian District 广东省深圳市福田区红荔路
- Ping’an Finance Center (平安国际金融中心) – Now the tallest skyscraper in Shenzhen and the 541m Freesky Observation Deck offers unrivaled views. Address: 5033, Yitian Road, Futian 广东省深圳市福田区益田路5033号
Art & Culture
- Da Fen Oil Painting Village (深圳大芬油画村) – Address: at the cross of Bujiyanhe Road and Busha Road, Longgang District 深圳市龙岗区布吉沿河路与布沙路的交叉口
- OCT LOFT (and the nearby OCT Art and Design Gallery) (深圳华侨城创意园) – Address: Enping Street, Nanshan 深圳市恩平街
- Shenzhen Cultural Center (深圳市文化馆) – Address: 95 Yannan Road, Futian 深圳市福田区燕南路95号 https://www.szmassart.com
- F 518 Idea Land (F518时尚创意园 深圳前岸国际酒店) – Address: 1069 Baoyuan Road, Bao’an District 中心区宝源路F518
That’s probably a bunch more than 20, but hey, more the merrier 🙂
Shenzhen Attraction Map
Including all the attractions mentioned and my pick for the top 5 places to stay in Shenzhen.
More places to stay
- The Top Hotels near Shenzhen Airport (T3) – the only International airport in Shenzhen.
- The Top 10 Five-Star hotels – the best of the best in luxury accommodation in SZ.
- The Top 15 Hotels at Huaqiangbei Shenzhen – The wholesale electronics capital of China, and a shopping mecca.
- The Top Hotels at Dongmen (Loajie), Luohu Shenzhen – Luohu is the main border crossing between Hong Kong and Shenzhen, it’s also home to Luohu Commercial City, many luxury shopping malls, and leisure centers.
- The Top 13 Hotels in Futian CBD, Shenzhen – Futian is the center of the city, home to government, modern shopping malls, Convention and Exhibition Center and the city’s top luxury hotels.
- The Top 10 Hotels in Nanshan, Shenzhen – Nanshan is home to three big theme parks, several major malls, and many of the world’s top tech companies are based here.
- The Top Hotels in Bao’an District Shenzhen – A very large district that is developing fast.
- List: The Top Hotels in Dapeng, Shenzhen – Dapeng is your nature escape, here you can find beaches and hiking trails.
- List: The Top Hotels in Buji, Shenzhen – a rapidly redeveloping district.
- The Top Hotels in Longgang Shenzhen – another rapidly redeveloping district.
This post was originally published on the May 2, 2016 and last updated Oct 2018.